» 游 客登 录注 册找 回 密 码风 格面 版设 施帮 助

您的位置: LINKER论坛 8 LINKER专区 8 [LINKER乐园] 8 In hindsight, it was a terrible trade: The Second World War was not very glittery

您是本帖的第 2334 个阅读者 ┆
 贴子主题:In hindsight, it was a terrible trade: The Second World War was not very glittery
rain13性别:女<br>状态:离线<br>积时:4 个月 3 天 5 小时 5 分 0 秒
等级:新兵
头衔:未定义
帮派:未定义
帖数:171
金钱:711
积分:0
注册:2016/1/15

[资料] [短信] [邮箱] [引用][编辑] 楼 主

In hindsight, it was a terrible trade: The Second World War was not very glittery

1980France JoliBefore: Joli left school at 11 to focus on bridesmaid dresses plus size her career (with the encouragement of her mother, who homeschooled her), and achieved stardom five years later, with “Come to Me,” a sultry disco track that hit No. 15 on the Billboard Hot 100.

After: As a disco artist just making her break in 1980, Joli wasn’t playing with very good odds. Her modicum of success was apparently good enough for a greatest hits collection, though: it came out in 1989, nine years before the release of her last album, If You Love Me.The butterfly motif was inspired by Man Ray’s transfer prints butterflies of the early 1930s and was laden with meaning: for both Schiap and the surrealist artists of her circle, it symbolized the metamorphosis, something beautiful born of something mundane.

(Scrapbook, Cecil Beaton’s journal, describes Simpson’s post-nuptial transformation from jolie laide into an elegant beauty in precisely those terms.) Another memorable black Schiap ensemble, one that Phillips reproduces in the film, has a jacket adorned with curlicue swirls of white leather.Arlene Bynon, a Toronto radio host who owns a summer home just outside New London, said it is great that the wedding is introducing so many people to P.E.I. “I hope they appreciate the simplicity of the Island,” she said. “It’s not a Hollywood place, and that’s why we all love it.”Certainly, there have been some headline-grabbing gains in the region: A Syrian woman, Dana Bakdounis, unveiled herself on a Facebook page devoted to the rise of women in Arab countries; a Yemeni woman, Tawakkul Karman, was named the first Arab Nobel Peace Prize winner; Libya’s governing transition council required parties to field equal numbers of men and women, and women there campaigned at night — without wedding bridesmaid dresses male supervision; Saudi Arabia, apparently infected by the Arab Spring movement, sent female athletes to the Olympics and Saudi women are actively fighting for their right to drive.So Alain and Audrey and Ryan and Rob were thus relegated to completing both halves of the Detour, a chore they mutually accomplished seemingly buoyed by a wave of resentment.Despite the terrible luck and the absence of close family and friends, the couple is happy they went through with it — delighted to be married and ready to start the rest of their lives.The sums of money involved make Eric and Lola’s case somewhat absurd to the average Canadian. But it could shape the lives of the 1.2 million Quebecois in de facto couples, making them as good as married, even though neither of them exchanged rings or asked the other person’s permission to spend their lives together.But, in a way, the Rolls is a more populist choice, in that it will allow a better view of the bride during her journey to the abbey. Another car with smaller windows than the Rolls would not allow Kate to be viewed in all her be-trained, be-veiled glory by the public moments before her nuptials: “It has big windows, so eager crowds will be able to get a good glimpse of the bride. And Kate also said that she liked the idea of arriving at the abbey as a commoner by car, but leaving by carriage as an official member of the royal family,” a royal watcher told the Early Show Tuesday morning.Now, the question is: Will Cathleen, a character inspired by my grandmother in The Housemaid’s Daughter, prove equally virtuous or will she modest bridesmaid dresses succumb to the gallantries of a ship-board suitor?Three middle-aged male patrons at a midtown Toronto restaurant stop sipping their coffees and stare. Another man, a younger man, reading a book, does a double take before putting the book down.At least I now have time to get to my second love: model building. When I first showed up in Toronto, I moved into a house with a large basement with a plan to complete a 1/32 scale model of the D-Day landings at Juno Beach, complete with 120 aircraft, 50 vehicles, 24 landing craft and more than 5,000 troops. I hoped to get it done by 2013, but unfortunately, all I’ve done so far is paint the left wing of a Spitfire.

That, and I traded all my green model paint for glitter. In hindsight, it was a terrible trade: The Second World War was not very glittery.Linda Lewiseditor-in-chief, More magazineThe only thing I can think of is my mother’s pearls, which are not only beautiful, but meaningful: When her parents received reparation from the German government after the Holocaust, they used some of the money to buy their daughter this gift.In Yellowknife, the shinny crowd was thwarted despite chanting “Put them on!” when Will and Kate received their Team Canada jerseys, and in Calgary, there was brief collective heartbreak when the couple were welcomed to the city with Smithbilt white cowboy hats but didn’t immediately don the iconic headgear.They were opposites in many ways. He drank beer and she liked pretentious coffee shops.

She hosted princess tea parties and watched Disney movies with her girlfriends. He would never attend.

In hindsight, it was a terrible trade: The Second World War was not very glittery

------------------------------------------------------------------------
LINKER论坛欢迎您!
2016/4/8 9:39:37
 参考IP地址:124.73. * . *
 页次1 / 1 页 共1 条记录 10 条/页 分页:9 1 :转到